Re: DBD::Oracle and Pythian Remote DBA

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 07:26:51 -0700

Mladen,

Like any open source project, this one is driven by
folks contributing what they think is useful, and have
the time and skill to develop.

eg.  I think they accept patches.  :)

FWIW, the DBD::Oracle module has been significantly
cleaned up since Pythian started maintaining it.

The compiles are cleaner, and the tests work more consistently.

Jared

On 5/2/06, Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Pythian group has recently taken over the maintenance of DBD::Oracle, the principal means of connecting to Oracle from Perl. This driver has some weak points and shortcomings which are severely restricting its use and drastically decreasing its usefulness. I consider those shortcoming to be the following:

1) Lack of support for array interface.
2) Lack of support for direct loading.
3) Inability to map collective types (VARRAY and PL/SQL tables) and,
   therefore, to support bulk selects.
4) Lack of support for transparent application fail-over.

As I've said before, Pythian Group took over maintenance. I have one
question:

Do you plan to address any of those weaknesses and if you do, can you give
any
timetable? There are many interesting articles on your website, but none
about
DBD::Oracle. I've already asked that question, but received no response.
Please,
can you be so kind and inform poor users like me about the future of
DBD::Oracle?

-- Mladen Gogala http://www.mgogala.com

Jared Still