Re: DBA pay in university

  • From: Carol Dacko <dackoc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jpiwowar@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:05:58 -0400

As a public university employee, yes, it depends.

1)  What is the financial health of the overall University?
2)  The pay scale is below industry.
3)  At the university that I work, the pay scale depends upon the
department.  Some departments pay higher than others.
4)  We still get health care benefits but those are starting to align more
with industry lately with the amount of co-pays that each employee pays for
the health plan they chose.
5)  There is no pension for non-bargained for employees.
6)  The retirement plan matching is higher, but that is starting to change
too.  New employees now have a different matching plan that current staff.
7)  The culture depends on the department.  Our department is more like a
business than an academic department.  Therefore, things are not as
"relaxed" as you might think.
8)  Children of employees do not get free tuition like some other
universities.
9)  There is partial tuition reimbursement for the employee if the field of
study you are pursuing will assist in your current position.  And it needs
to be approved by managment.  There have been occasions when those were not
approved.
10) You're vacation time depends on your salary level.  But it could be as
high as 24 days a year (if you have time to take it).  But that may be
changing soon too.

With any position you are thinking about taking, you need to do your due
diligence.

HTH!

Carol