RE: DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS and partitioning

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Sharon.Kovac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 13:29:33 -0400

Sharon,

    Having been through a License Management Service audit your just
fine.  Internally Oracle does use partitioning and no you don't have to
pay for it so long as only the Oracle supplied users are using it.  If,
though, one of your application schema's starts showing up in
DBA_TAB_PARTITIONS then your in trouble.  It is sort of a trap, because
the option is enabled and anyone with create table permissions can abuse
it.  On the other hand, Oracle is not likely to drop and audit on you
unless they suspect something and that you'll likely hear about before
they come in.  So keep your "ears" open and if you think something
between your boss and Oracle are amiss start looking.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International