RE: DB Links management

  • From: "Hollis, Les" <Les.Hollis@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Hemant K Chitale" <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Tony.Vecchiet@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:13:24 -0600

" If the DBLink is created without a identified by, the user must
provide a=20
Password each time it is used."

Not true  IF the user id exists on both servers (with of course the same
password).   And provided the user on remote DB has all the necessary
permissions to objects in the remote DB .

Example

DBLOCAL
Userid user1/user1

DBREMOTE
Userid  user1/user1

Create public database link DBREMOTE using 'DBREMOTE';

As user1

Select * from dual@DBREMOTE;

-

Tables 'test' exists on DBREMOTE owned by user1         =20
 user1 on DBLOCAL  executes

Select count (*) from test@DBREMOTE;

  COUNT(*)
----------
      2234 =20

Another example

Table 'test1' on DBREMOTE owned by user2

Select count (*) from test1@DBREMOTE;

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

Because user1 on DBREMOTE does not have any perms on test1 owned by
user2, he cannot select from the table

On DBREMOTE  user2  does a      SQL> grant all on test1 to user1;

NOW when user1 on DBLOCAL does a    SQL> select count (*) from
test1@DBREMOTE;  he will get results.

" How do you achieve seperation of schemas and privileges within the one
database [whether local or remote database]"

By the use of the object@DBLINKNAME

The @DBLINKNAME will tell the database to go to the object in the remote
database.  YOU can have objects of same name in both DB's...