DB Links for Integration

  • From: Dwaraknath Krishnamurthi <dwarak.k@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 14:55:10 +0530

Hello All,
We are trying to integrate 3 legacy systems to an integration hub. All the
legacy systems and the integration hub run on Oracle DB and all run on
different servers. Here are my integration requirements.

   1. We have Daily/Weekly/Monthly interfaces which are supposed to run
   picking up data from the legacy systems and populate them to the
   integration hub.

   1. The transformation efforts are minimal. Mostly it will be a column to
   column mapping.

   1. We will NEVER read database across links and its just INSERT
   operation alone from source to target.
   2. We have no encryption requirements just fixed user/ password
   authentication is good enough.

   1. The source system will always issue commit and it will be the
   transaction co-coordinator

Here are my Questions

   1. Can we use DB links here to integrate this? Just issue a direct
   insert statement to the target DB?

   1. What are the performance implications given a decent network? One
   interface would synchronize be 10,000 rows approximately. 70-80 interfaces
   can run at a time(meaning 80 different sources will be interfaced each with
   10K records daily).

   1. Are the errors pertaining to 'in doubt transactions' frequent? Is
   data consistency using two phase commit reliable

   1. Are there any performance benchmark documents for DB links available
   which we can refer?

   1. Are there any other important factors to consider.

DB Version 11GR2, Clustered Env.

Thanks in advance