"DB Link are Inherently Slow" -- True or False?

  • From: David Aldridge <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 06:23:17 -0700 (PDT)

            I am being persistently told by a DBA that DB links are inherently
slow and not suited to bulk transfer of data.

  Does anyone have any experiences to share on the sort of practical MBytes/sec
throughput we ought to be getting on a 10GBit network between two databases
having no intervening firewalls, routers, or other potentially performance
limiting network components? We're seeing 2MBytes/sec using data pump import in
network mode with parallelsim of 10 (ie. sourcing data through a db link from
another db on a different host) :(