Re: Client Character Set

  • From: Mindaugas Navickas <mnavickas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Nagarajan.Subbiah@xxxxxxxx, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:29:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi Raja,
I guess, you issue is sligtly different from what is described in the link.
Your database is US7ASCII versus AL32UTF8 talked on the web page.
US7ASCII by definition supports ONLY ASCII characters - 32-127.

Permanent solution would be to change character set on database site to support
all character that your application is storing.

A temporary solution would be to set a character set on client site to match
the database character set (US7ASCII). Search windows registry for the NLS_LANG

NLS_LANG=American_America.WE8MSWIN1252   - in your environment might be
different and change it to
NLS_LANG={the same as it was}.US7ASCII

Mindaugas Navickas

--- "Subbiah, Nagarajan" <Nagarajan.Subbiah@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi List,
> I am facing the character set issue. Win2K IIS Client - Oracle on
> HP-UX. Database Character set is US7ASCII. Is there any option to set the
> client character set to resolve the issue and where should I set this up?
> Below URL describes the same issue. Looking for the solution.
> 7Ca%2FGQfQ%3D%3D&redirectURL=%2FDatabases%2FOracle%2FQ_21292465.html%3Fqid%3
> D21292465#signup
> Thanks
> Raja
> --