Re: Central User management question

  • From: David Robillard <david.robillard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:58:08 -0500

Hello Mike,

> Are there any tools/recommendations that would allow for central
> management of database users?  What I am looking for specifically, is a
> single location where we can grant a user access/privileges to a subset
> of the environment. For example, if a new Developer joins the
> organization, we could centrally manage what databases they should have
> access to and allow for a common password on each of the targets.  This
> should also allow us the ability to remove someone's access from one
> location without having to visit X number of databases.
>
> I found the 11g Enterprise user security feature which seems to be what
> we are looking for, but I haven't looked into it enough yet to know
> about version compatibility or licensing associated with it.

Yes, as Paul said, you pretty much answered your own question: EUS is
the answer.

I'm not an expert in EUS, but David C. Knox is and he wrote a very
good book on the topic. If you're interested in EUS, then I'd suggest
you read chapter 5 « Identity Management and Enterprise Users » in his
book called « Effective Oracle Database 10g Security by Design » ISBN:
0-07-223130-0. It's a very good read and should help you understand
what it is and how to implemented it.

HTH,

David

--