Re: Can you select a Different RMAN backup for DUPLICATE?

  • From: "Stefan Knecht" <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:53:01 +0200

Niall, when you're specifying the SET UNTIL clause in a run {} block like
this;

run {
set until time|scn;
restore database;
recover database;
}

rman will automatically pick the right backup to be able to get to that
point in time.

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta065.htm#i1000331
says it quite clearly:

"untilClause
<http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta065.htm#i1000331>Specifies
an end time, SCN, or log sequence number for a subsequent
RESTORE<http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta051.htm#i85188>or
RECOVER<http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta044.htm#i84135>command."

Cheers

Stefan

On 6/19/07, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

set until specifies the timestamp at which you want the recovery to end,
not the timestamp for the restore surely?

There isn't a FROM TAG specifier to say what backup to use for the
duplicate database command, so I'd say you would be using the manual process
of.

restore from tag
recover until
using nid at the os level to set the new dbid.

regards

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA