Re: Cache buffer chains (kslbegin)

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:46:08 +0100

Shared Read latches appeared in 9i (although I have
heard that they may been used in a few cases in 8i).
There are some statistics relating to their use:
       shared hash latch upgrades - no wait
       shared hash latch upgrades - wait

Check Tanel Poder's website for some information
on the technology.

As Mark Bobak points out, as "buffer busy waits" was
your biggest problem, you should be addressing that
at source (at which point any issue you see with the cache buffers chains latches may simply disappear).

However, I see that you have quite a lot of activity on the
multiblock read objects 502,619 472 51
which means you are doing a relatively large amount of
tablescanning, or index fast full scanning. Buffer busy waits
can be a consequence of segment scans, so that might be your
first target for investigation. Note - it is possible to be suffering
from 'disk-based' segment scans even if you don't see much time lost on db file scattered reads, as the scans may be satisfied from filesystem cache.

As others have mentioned, there is a (9i) view that reports segment
level work and waits: v$segment_statistics if you want to use the
friendly but expensive version, v$segstat if you want to use the
cheap version.  Depending on version, this can tell you which object
is subject to most buffer busy waits, and most segment scans.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ