Re: CPU Per Exec - SQL Ordered By CPU Time

  • From: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:20:01 +0200

Recently we've seen (in AWR)

      db_time >> wait_times + cpu_time

where >> stands for "Much Bigger"

After some considerations we decided it can be either queueing or paging.
It turned out to be paging.
v$/dba_hist_osstat helped too.

             Harel Safra
             <harel.safra@gmai
             l.com>,                                                    To
             Sent by:                  oracledbawannabe@xxxxxxxxx
             oracle-l-bounce@f                                          cc
             reelists.org              Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: CPU Per Exec - SQL Ordered By
             2010.11.24 19:47          CPU Time

             Please respond to
             harel.safra@gmail
                   .com

It probably includes the time the process was in the run queue but not on
the CPU itself (cpu wait).
Do you have matching OS statistics for the peak load? I'd look at CPU
utilization and run queue length.

Harel Safra

On 24/11/2010 19:03, Oracle Dba Wannabe wrote:
      Hi,
      With reference to AWR reports, during non peak and peak times I see
      the following:
      Non Peak:
|------------+--------------+----------+---------------+---------------+-------------+-+-|
|CPU Time (s)| Elapsed Time |Executions| CPU per Exec  |  % Total DB   |   SQL
Id    | | |
|            |     (s)      |          |      (s)      |     Time)     |
     | | |
|------------+--------------+----------+---------------+---------------+-------------+-+-|
|       1,092|         1,337|    28,730|           0.04|
6.51|3kmnk9f1htbcc| | |
|------------+--------------+----------+---------------+---------------+-------------+-+-|

      Peak:
|------------+--------------+----------+---------------+---------------+-------------+-+-|
|CPU Time (s)| Elapsed Time |Executions| CPU per Exec  |% Total DB Time|   SQL
Id    | | |
|            |     (s)      |          |      (s)      |               |
     | | |
|       4,679|        15,653|    29,922|           0.16|
6.05|3kmnk9f1htbcc| | |

      I'm wondering what would cause the CPU per Exec to be greater during
      the Peak time? I understand that its CPU Time/Executions.
      Does CPU time include wait for CPU time too? which would mean during
      the peak time since the system was overloaded or CPU bound we would
      expect to see CPU per exec increase for the same statement?
      Thanks