Re: Best course to understand why a bad plan is chosen by optimizer

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, krishsingh.111@xxxxxxxxx, 'Chris Taylor' <christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 13:01:59 -0400

On 9/15/19 12:20 PM, Mark W. Farnham wrote:

*grief: also known, as per Moans Nogood, the wealth generation mechanism for a lot of consultants and consulting companies.

Ah, the good old Mogens Norgaard! I haven't heard that name in a while. What's going on with him? He is that author of the paper titled "You Probably Don't Need RAC", which is one of the best papers I have ever read and the paper that was making every Oracle sales rep at the time turn red in the face. Oracle sales troopers from today don't know about that paper and the same applies to the most of DBA personnel these days. He has also led the notable BAARF initiative of which both you and me were parts. I still have a copy of that paper and I surmise that the same is the case with you.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant