RE: Beginner Data Architecture books or websites

  • From: "Kevin Lidh" <kevin.lidh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 11:46:29 -0600

As a recent DBA turned Data Architecture Manager, I attended Enterprise Data
World last week as my first real exposure to Data Architecture.  Database
administration, physical design, logical design and ETL (areas I was
familiar with) were small parts of the bigger data picture.  I was exposed
to terms like data governance, data stewardship, master data management, and
semantic modeling.  I was looking at enterprise deployments of data
virtualization strategies, graph analytics (Big Data), business
communication strategies as far as project funding as well as enterprise
data governance policies.

What I learned was that what I knew (or thought I knew) about data was only
the tip of the iceberg of Data Architecture.  I bought two books, "Data
Architecture: From Zen to Reality" by Charles Tupper and "Managing Data In
Motion" by April Reeve to get me started on educating myself in my new job.
I can't recommend them yet, as I've just started both of them, but they seem
to be more appropriate to Data Architecture rather than Database
Architecture especially in a heterogeneous data environment.