Re: Bank Databases

  • From: Matthew Zito <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Howard Latham <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 07:08:49 -0400

Yes, though I doubt it's anything as simple as an "Oracle issue".
From my experience watching large organizations deal with complex
crises like this, typically it's a series of cascading failures - so
perhaps an Oracle database was involved, but many separate pieces had
to fail in order to get to this point.

For example, I once saw a major global company's firmwide email system
go down for over a day due to a cascading series of:
- storage array failure
- misconfigured hardware
- engineer typo
- misunderstood recovery architecture

I'm trying to keep it vague intentionally, but if any one of those
things hadn't happened, they would have had an hour downtime on their
email instead of a 30 hour downtime.  I suspect the natwest issue is
similar, *though* I do expect that we'll get more info in the coming
days/weeks, so maybe we can get some more details then.

Matt