Re: Backing up the recovery catalog

  • From: Joe Armstrong-Champ <joseph.armstrong-champ@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:49:07 -0400

Jared,

What about the use of the catalog in disaster recovery? We have ours on a seperate server from the prod databases so if the prod server fails we can still recover. Although as I'm writing this I'm not sure if we need the catalog since we would have the backup on tape (including the controlfile autobackup) and could still recover with that.

Joe

Jared Still wrote:

As databases get moved and new ones added, I am not even using the recovery catalog.

Though I have argued for its use in the past, I haven't actually realized
much benefit from using it, and am phasing it out here.