Re: Backing up RMAN catalog database

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Smith.Steven@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:56:49 -0800

On 2/8/07, Smith, Steven K - MSHA <Smith.Steven@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 In our shop - we schedule a shutdown/cold backup of the rman repository
on a regular basis when we know RMAN  backups are not going to occur.  The
backup of the RMAN repository takes very little time.

We do the same thing.

Though I have not really delved into the subject, backing up RMAN catalogs
has been compared to backing up an LDAP datababase.

Unless you can guarantee there is no current activity, a restore of such a
database from a hot backup might be physically consistent, but logically
corrupt.

--
Jared Still