Re: Autonomous transactions and deadlocks

  • From: rajugaru.vij@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx,oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:13:14 +0000

Version 10g R2..
AT when working with bitmap index..

Thanks
Sent on my BlackBerry®

-----Original Message-----
From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 06:43:14
To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Autonomous transactions and deadlocks

On 25/03/2013 1:56 AM, rajugaru.vij@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
> Can someone explain me, why does AT cause deadlocks.
>
> Eg: I updated a table x in session 1 and want to update same from session 2
> but with AT. It goes into deadlock. But normal update works fine. I am not
> quite understanding the locking mechanism. Gone through docs, but not clear,
> or unable to understand. Can some one help please?
I assume you are trying to avoid the mutating table problem while trying
to update the same table twice from different transactions. If so, you
might describe the requirement in detail to get a reasonable alternative.

Depending on he exact problem, you may be tripping over locks on the
supporting structures such as constraints or indexes, rather than just
locks on the table.

Which version of Oracle Server?  New versions have techniques to get
around the issue.in triggers.

/Hans