Auditing DBA activities

  • From: "Crawford, Margareth (HQP)" <Margareth.Crawford@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:48:41 -0800

We are interested in industry practices concerning auditing Oracle DBA
activities in production environments.  We are aware that there are
ever-increasing internal and external security regulations governing
access to corporate financial data. This may result in companies that
require audits of Oracle DBA and SYS/SYSTEM accounts.

We are interested in how other IT departments have dealt with this
issue. We would be particularly interested to hear how companies have
implemented DBA auditing: (1) across different Oracle versions, (2)
restricting a DBA from modifying audit information, and (3) auditing
tasks that can modify data or objects. We'd also like to understand the
tradeoffs that these DBA audit controls can introduce

Thanks,
Margareth