Re: Auditing

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gus Spier <gus.spier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:01:38 -0700

That's pretty much what I'm attempting to do. I'm hoping that my
conclusions, that this level of detail (with yet another custom
application) is absurd and not used in 'the real world', are correct.
I'm also staing that the easiest way for me to fully implement this
ability will be to require that all data changes be made through my
Apex interface and that I'd have to turn off/disable TOAD and SQL
Developer access against the tables, so all cahnges have to be applied
against views where I've built all of the business rules into the
triggers, and from there I can then enforce that all of the 'required'
auditing information is properly recorded in a standard format so that
the other reports, queries, etc. can access information in a known
format.

I can easily see implementing this  becoming a management mandated
denial of service attack, due to all of the additional overhead.
Making changes against a view fires off a lot of background processes,
generating my XML field, updating fields in other tables, etc., so
doing a mass update statement against a table can take days to finish,
based upon my previous tests (and bad luck).

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.

--
-- Bill Ferguson