Re: Anyway to optimize the optimizer

  • From: "jaromir nemec" <jaromir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:36:49 +0100

Hallo Chris,

> To achieve correct partition pruning you should have a restriction on  the
> partition
> key.

> If the actual structure doesn't provide it in a simply way, in my opinion,

> the partition key was wrongly chosen!

I can't completely agree with this argumentation. It is very probable that a
fact table has more than one related dimensions and therefore there are more
access paths. Only one  of them can be chosen as a partition key. So a trade
off must be made.

A simple example is a table of events that have an opening and closing date.

Does it mean, if I decide to partition on opening date and some one wont to
report on closing date, I commited a design flaw?

Regards,

Jaromir