Re: Anyone have a fresh pair of eyes....?

  • From: "Edgar Chupit" <chupit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 06:31:31 +0200

Good morning,

I think this is because bind variables can be used only for DML statements
and alter is not exactly DML statement. The only other option is to directly
concatenate seq_diff value to sql_statement.

Simple testcase:

TDS2@GALA $drop sequence test_sq;

Sequence dropped.

TDS2@GALA $create sequence test_sq;

Sequence created.

TDS2@GALA $begin
 2    execute immediate 'alter sequence test_sq increment by :x' using 1;
 3  end;
 4  /
begin
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01722: invalid number
ORA-06512: at line 2

On 6/26/07, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 This has got to be something stupid, but I'm just not seeing it, and I'd
like to go home at some point this evening....;-)

--->                execute immediate sql_statement using seq_diff;
I think I've been staring for too long...can someone throw me a rope
here?? ;-)

Thanks!

-Mark

*--
Mark J. Bobak*
*Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies*
ProQuest
789 E. Eisenhower, Parkway, P.O. Box 1346
Ann Arbor MI 48106-1346
734.997.4059  or 800.521.0600 x 4059
*mark.bobak**@il.proquest.com* <mark.bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*www.proquest.com* <http://www.proquest.com/>