Re: Antwort: What is the least expensive Oracle database product?

  • From: "J. Laurindo Chiappa" <jlchiappa1967@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:28:39 -0200

Janine, some time ago when I needed something like that (for personal access to metalink to do searches and downloads) , I opted for Oracle Collaboration Suite , Oracle sales was happy to sell one-seat licence only, it goes out for US$ 100... Today OCS is defunct, so you could try their sucessor, beehive, it´s a US$ 120 by seat licence and gives to you an CSI, iirc. Failing that, Oracle Personal Edition could be an option, and it gives to you the bonus of being capacle to open database-related SRs, but the total price for PE + minum licencing + support will be around US$$00 , I think.

 Regards,

 J. Laurindo Chiappa
I posted here the other day mentioning that I no longer have MOS
access and someone suggested that I buy a cheap Oracle license, just
for the support.  I decided to take a look at the store today and find
it confusing.  And "cheap" is definitely relative. :)

According to the pop-up list of "user minimums", both SE and SE One
require a 5 user minimum.  But the shopping cart appears to be quite
happy to sell me just one (that is, I added one to my cart, hit
Checkout, and it gave every indication that it would proceed with
taking my information without complaint).

Even for SE One, five users adds up to $1100, more than I am willing
to spend on this.  But I can handle paying for one....

I guess my question is twofold:  one, is there a less expensive
product I can buy that will get me a CSI?  And two, since I have no
intention of actually running the software as licensed anyway, does it
even matter if I buy the minimum?

thanks,

janine