All instances for service are AVAIL none PREF in RAC

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:45:49 -0800 (PST)

2-node RAC 10.2.0.4, Redhat 5

I have a service accidentally configured with both instances as available and
none as preferred:

$ srvctl config service -d dbname -s servicename.example.com
servicename.example.com PREF:  AVAIL: instance1 instance2

Oracle support says there's no harm. Everything will work. Currently the
sessions using this service spread on both nodes evenly and seem to work
perfectly. Can anybody think of anything I need to be aware of? I intended to
configure it as both preferred and none available. Is it worth changing it?

Yong Huang