Aggregate IOT fast refresh materialized view

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 01:33:24 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

Has anyone implemented a fast refresh single table aggregate materialized view
which is stored as
IOT?  Don't everyone rush in at once... :-)

The v9 docs suggests its not possible, yet we've been testing with no problems.
 Just curious if
anyone actually has such a thing in production.  OSS are quoting the
documentation as "not
possible" being equivalent to "not supported".

Example (from 9204)

SQL> create table my_table
  2  as select * From all_objects
  3  where rownum < 1000;

Table created.

SQL> alter table my_table add primary key ( owner, object_id);

Table altered.

SQL> CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW LOG ON my_table
  2    WITH SEQUENCE, ROWID (owner, object_id) INCLUDING NEW VALUES;

Materialized view log created.

SQL> create table my_iot_mv ( owner, child_cnt, constraint my_iot_pk primary
key ( owner) )
  2  organization index as
  3  SELECT owner,
  4         count(*) child_cnt
  5  from   my_table
  6  group by owner;

Table created.

SQL> CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW my_iot_mv
  2  on prebuilt table
  3  REFRESH FAST ON COMMIT
  4  disable QUERY REWRITE
  5  AS
  6  SELECT owner,
  7         count(*) child_cnt
  8  from   my_table
  9  group by owner;

Materialized view created.

(Aside: If anyone can come up with a working syntax based on 'build immediate'
as opposed to 'on
prebuilt table', I'm all ears)

Cheers
Connor

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"
ISBN: 1590592174

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"