Re: AW: Query on Linux 'top' command for oracle user

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: karlarao@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:07:37 -0700

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Karl Arao <karlarao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes too bad it's not available on <RHEL5, the same way I'm feeling for
> iotop here http://people.redhat.com/jolsa/iotop/ which is a very useful
> tool

About 3 years ago I wrote a Perl script to try an calculate how much
memory was being used by oracle processes on a linux server.

That brief education was enough to teach me that linux memory
accounting appears to have been written by the likes of accountants
from Enron.

Attached is a script that works on RH 4.   I don't think I've tried it on RH
5.

At the time I thought it about 85-90% accurate, which was enough for my
purposes.

Give it a try if you like.

Please let me know if you think it has glaring errors.

Jared