ASM newbie templates striping (coarse/fine) question

  • From: <Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:25:36 -0600

Env: ASM 10.2 with 3 node RAC
So I've been reading up on ASM templates (CONTROLFILE, DATAFILE, ONLINELOG) and
I'm a bit confused.

If you don't specify a template when you create the diskgroup, does a default
template get applied?  If so, how do I determine what template is active?

*OR* do all existing templates get applied to a new diskgroup?  If this is the
case, does Oracle automagically manage the striping (COARSE/FINE) for the types
of files created in that diskgroup?

Example:

Create large diskgroup with 10 ASM disks, then add datafiles, onlinelogs and
controlfiles.

Do each of these get a different COARSE/FINE stripe template because of the
nature of the file itself?  Looking at V$ASM_TEMPLATE it appears that each
diskgroup gets 1 of each template.

Regards,

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA