ADVM volumes metadata backup

  • From: "Radoulov, Dimitre" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 21:10:24 +0200

Hi all,
does anybody know how ADVM volume metadata is supposed to be
backed up?

I mean, today we intentionally corrupted our test RAC env,
I executed several dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/partition bs=...
count=... in order to corrupt the disks,
we wanted to test our restore and recovery procedures.

Almost everything went fine: I brought crs up in exclusive mode,
restored the asm disk groups structure (md_restore), the ocr and the
voting disks,
I recreated the asm spfile, then I restored the database without problems.

We have a an acfs general purpose filesystem and md_(backup|restore)
don't seem to handle ADVM volume information so I recreated
the volume and the filesystem manually (I had backed up the filesystem's
content before the test with tar (TSM doesn't seem to support acfs
filesystems).

I suppose there's a better way for backing up and restoring ADVM
volumes ...

Thanks
Dimitre