Re: 9i upgrade os question

  • From: Barbara Baker <barbarabbaker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:22:33 -0700 (PDT)

Mike:
Here are my  notes:

*SunOS/Solaris Background Information
====================================
"SunOS" is the core operating system comprising the
kernel, utilities and basic libraries. "Solaris" is
the broader environment comprising SunOS, OpenWindows
and networking support. In other words, SunOS is a
component of Solaris. Here's how the versions of SunOS
and Solaris relate to each other:
SunOS 5.3    = Solaris 2.3
SunOS 5.4    = Solaris 2.4
SunOS 5.5    = Solaris 2.5
SunOS 5.5.1 = Solaris 2.5.1
SunOS 5.6    = Solaris 2.6
SunOS 5.7    = Solaris 2.7 (or 7)
SunOS 5.8    = Solaris 2.8 (or 8)

 So, for example, when "uname -a" reports that the
server has SunOS 5.6 installed it's actually got
Solaris 2.6 installed

HTH.
Barb