Re: 9205 Problems / SGA_MAX_SIZE

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lisa.koivu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:21:59 -0500

Lisa,

You should be able to get this to work on either MS W2K Advanced
Server, or W2K3 Server provided that the /3GB switch has been set in
the boot.ini.

What I would have first suspected is that large memory support was
broken in the oracle.exe binary - but that is not the case in 9.2.0.x
(as it was in 8.1.7.3, 8.1.7.4).

We're running with "large memory support" with the 9.2.0.5.3 patchset
in place in production quite nicely.

What you need to pay attention to is the virtual memory that is
allocated, not the "committed" memory.

Download the Pstools suite and track virtual memory allocated with the
utility pslist.exe.
I have some scripts that logged memory usage for the oracle.exe
process(es) and sent them via email daily, when we were hitting our
heads against the 3 10E9 ceiling.
This limit actually kicks in at 2.79 GB of virtual memory, not at 3 GB.
Contact me offline for a copy.

pga_aggregate_target is allocated at runtime, and is not allocated
during instance startup.

each oracle dedicated server process (connection) will still add to
the memory allocated to the oracle.exe process - you may want to run
orastack to reduce this value. Search metalink and the archives of
this list for details.

here is a sample memory configuration.
I am not recommending it, as it is largely duct tape applied to
relieve pressure due to app code that produces a large amount of table
scans - that should eventually be fixed (hence the disproportionately
large keep pool). The app users are happy, so I stopped tuning.

NAME                           VALUE
------------------------------ ----------
db_keep_cache_size              838860800
db_2k_cache_size                  8388608
db_cache_size                   805306368
db_recycle_cache_size            16777216

large_pool_size                  67108864
shared_pool_size                335544320
java_pool_size                   33554432
sga_max_size                   2282828404
olap_page_pool_size               8388608

pga_aggregate_target            536870912

this supports 250 simultaneous users, typically 200 of which are
dedicated server connections. we haven't hit a listener error since
about a week after migrating from 8.1.7 to 9.2. I did originally think
that pga_aggregate_target was under sga_max_size, it is not.

the maximum size reported from pslist -m oracle  for the counter "VM"
has been 2890612.
it does not take much over 3000000000 to start throwing ORA-12540 errors.

All I can say for now, time for meetings.

hth.

Paul