11g Diagnostics & Tuning Pack Licenses

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:27:07 -0700

List,

There are datasheets available now on the 11g Diagnostics & Tuning Packs
(along with several other white papers and datasheets at
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/oracle11g/index.html)
:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/oem/pdf/diagnostic-pack-11g-da
tasheet.pdf

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/oem/pdf/tuning-pack-11g-datash
eet.pdf

I'm not sure how reliable the information is in these datasheets since
they didn't even update all the "10g" references in the documents, but
there are 2 key things I noticed when skimming these:

1) The Diagnostics Pack document mentions the V$ view for Active Session
History, but doesn't say that it is accessible w/o a Diag Pack license
so I'm guessing that means that the license is still required to access
the views

2) There is no mention of SQL Plan Management in either of the
documents, so hopefully that means this feature will not require any
pack licenses.

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Brinsmead

   With a great deal of help from several colleagues at The Pythian
Group, I have prepared an open letter to Larry Ellison, suggesting that
with the upcoming release of Oracle 11 he should change the licensing
terms surrounding access to the tables and views underlying AWR and ASH.