Re: 11.2 client and DNS

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 13:29:59 -0700 (PDT)

Larry,

I think you're talking about several issues at the same time:

(1) A RAC SCAN is not resolved to 3 IP's. Verify with nslookup.

(2) `nslookup <SCAN>' on the client side multiple times does not rotate the
IP's. Verify with nslookup.

(3) Pre-11gR2 Oracle client does not round-robin. See section "Problem with
pre-11gR2 clients" at
http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/SingleClientAccessName.txt

(4) SCAN VIP and its SCAN listener are on different nodes of a RAC database.

The last issue is the most complicated and I was not able to reproduce. See
//www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Remote-Local-Address-of-netstat-and-SCAN-listener-and-VIP-on-different-hosts,3
(ignore the issue of netstat showing a "ghost" local address)

Yong Huang