Re: 10g System statistics - single and multi

  • From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 02:13:09 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Wolfgang,

That never pops up in my head even I am suggesting RAC
to our customers.
This is maybe because the optimizer and system
statistic problems are so minor when have all that
money and HA problems in your head in regard to RAC.

Also old fashion usage of SQL's with hints (working
good for much longer time - no good for cosnultants)
while having very poor DBA's on the other side or not
enough knowledge on your side to surrender to Oracle
optimizer fully :)

How ugly is to not have the system statistics for RAC
is hard to imagine.

That is probably coming from the fact that Oracle
wants load balancing on RAC and not application
partitioning that usually every smart system is doing.
Also the fact that Oracle assumtpion was similar HW is
added to the RAC.
But, after putting these few sentences I think that
the Oracle team who provided system statistics just
forgot RAC :)

A few months ago, I needed to prove Oracle sales
person why it is not the same running RAC and single
instance database, because I was sick of their
showcase where RAC on the cluster showing
over-scalability with scale factor bigger then 2 on
the two node cluster.

Or to not mention Oracle ideas of having multiple
servers of different capacity in the cluster.

It is hard to imagine how narrow minded you need to be
to not consider RAC while doing system statistics
coding for Oracle db.
I can be narrow minded because I am one and stupid,
but not Oracle where system statistics come from :)
How complex was to Oracle to have a few more rows for
multiple instances????

These system statistics are similar in 9i and 10g.
It will be interesting to see what is happened with
them in 10g R2.

Anyway, RAC system statistics will be very good start
as you said.

Regards,
Zoran Martic

--- Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Very nice summation, Martic.
> As to your statement below, it would be a good start
> if Oracle had separate
> system statistics for each instance in a RAC
> cluster.
>
> At 11:43 PM 5/20/2005, Martic Zoran wrote:
>
> >Oracle will maybe evolve into having system
> statistics
> >per object or at least per file/disk. That will be
> >much better to use then global system statistics
> about
> >MBR and SBR.
>
> Regards
>
> Wolfgang Breitling