10g Grid - OS Login question

  • From: "Newman, Christopher" <cjnewman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 08:26:11 -0500

Hello,

We're in discussions with our OS (primarily Solaris 9/10, some SE Linux)
folks about requiring secondary authentication to our UNIX boxes which,
of course, will prevent 'oracle' from logging in directly and thereby
break parts of grid control.

Question:  Does anyone have a list of operations which require an OS
login while using grid control (10gR2)?  I've compiled a few, mostly
though physically going in and trying them out.  I'm hopeful that a)
someone will be able to add a few, and b) someone can give me some ammo
for justifying the need to login to the hosts as 'oracle'.

I've heard of PAM modules that can work for this, but I've never
actually seen anything that works.

Here's what I have so far in terms of requiring OS authentication:

Schedule Backup
Perform Recovery
Manage current backups
Dataguard Setup and Management