RE: 10g - ASM Rant

  • From: "Koivu, Lisa" <Lisa.Koivu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:31:34 -0400

Hi Raj,=20

Well, at this point I'm about to discount ASM completely on Windows for
now.  After the wipe and reinstall, I tried creating another ASM
instance through dbca.  It now doesn't like my create diskgroup
statement.  It can't discover any candidate disks.  My impression is
that I should be able to make a directory available to ASM to discover
and use - I have one disk on this server, it has the oracle software and
databases on it.  I wonder if that's what it doesn't like. Or maybe the
fact that it's one Raid 5 device (even with external redundancy stated).

The dbca added local_listener in the parm file.  I thought it was a
necessary evil.  It's not.=20

I can officially say this now.  I absolutely LOATHE Windows.  All the
documentation and white papers are on *nix and they don't necessarily
translate to Windows.  It all looks so easy, so pretty... NOT

And, believe it or not, the data warehouse I work on is going to be
reformatted to be Raid 5 instead of Raid 10 not only for additional
storage, but at a recommendation coming from Oracle.  Seems that Windows
can't generate writes fast enough to blow the 5GB San cache, even if
it's Raid 5.  I'm done arguing.  I want to be a daycare teacher or a
garbage collector.  I have nearly had it with this job.=20

Someone hand me a dirty martini.  I need it.
Lisa