High CPU usage

  • From: seekuel <sandeil_tenebro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle Application Group <ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:42:24 +0800 (SGT)

Hello group,

We are experiencing a high cpu usage on our instance wherein it is a single
node with datafiles located remotely via NAS.

Here is our server system specifications:
CPU  = Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420  @ 2.50GHz X4
MEMORY = 8 BG

I observed that the instance is not taking much of memory but all cpu reached
100% and this becomes a headache because our instance are very slow at this
point. I used the query "select COUNT(DISTINCT USER_ID) from ICX_SESSIONS where
LAST_CONNECT > SYSDATE - 1/24 and USER_ID != '-1';" and it shows 36. At this
point I will try to kill the processes that have its time 1hr or more and cpu
usage that is greater than 70% in OS level. I don't feel comfortable doing this
but it temporarily solve the issue.

Is there a cpu per user count per report generation guide on this? Your
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sandeil