RE: Apps Advanced installation

  • From: "Rolfe, Kent \(GTI AIS OPS/SE\)" <kent_rolfe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:56:30 +0100

Yes - its standard practice in every place I have worked ( where I am
currently has 4 web front ends ). But, whilst Apps can balance itself,
you are much better off with a hardware load balancer to do the work for
you.

If you are doing this on a company scale ( i.e. not just testing
yourself ) then I would definitely say to get a hardware ( as opposed to
software ) load balancer. If you are testing for yourself, you have two
options .. (1) Download a free software load balancer from the net (
there will be a few around ) or (2) start trying to do the 'apps
version' which, well, is not fully balanced and is flawed in a few
respects.

If you are running SSL, then I would get a hardware load balancer that
includes an SSL accelerator. Because, otherwise you start getting issues
with your balancing due to the inability of the balancer to interpret
the packets ... i..e it then needs to keep the stickiness based on the
IP that originated the request. Also, the SSL accelerator will offload
the CPU overhead onto the accelerator from the web nodes.

Assuming you are not going for the Apps version ( I dont know anyone who
uses that ) - its just a matter of either (a) changing your context file
and running autoconfig on each web node or (b) Changing a few profiles
and the Apache config files. Basically, you would have each node being
say web1 and web2 and you would have your balancer to be called 'web'.
Then, your profiles point to 'web' instead of web or web2. You then may
want to, on each of web1 and web2, put and entry in the hosts file for
itself to point to web. That allows reverse name lookups and internal
name resolution ( like workflow formatted emails )  to be quicker.

There must be something on metalink somewhere.... in fact just looked
this up .. start with reading 217368.1

BTW - I would not look at Jserv load balancing. I spent some time
playing with that and, unless you are looking at using cheap linux
boxes, I did not find any great reason to go for that.

Kent.