Re: 64 bit or 32 bit ebs database

  • From: "Jurijs Velikanovs" <j.velikanovs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:01:39 +0300

Irfan & ALL,

Just let me put in as simple as that:
- Have you seen or heard about any 11i instance which is running
successfully on any Linux 64 platform?

I haven't. Knowing how big is EBS technology layer and how complex it
is I will not even try to consider to install EBS on 64bit Linux
unless I will receive positive answer o the question above or official
statement from Oracle.
I have asked on of my colleagues to raise a SR recently (working on
one EBS TA) in order to ask official Oracle statement. And it was NO !
Oracle doesn't support EBS 11i on 64bit platform unless you are
running split cfg (then DB can be on 64 bits).

BTW: I will be more then happy to get a positive answer :) As this
limits significantly usage of the Linux platform for big EBS
installations in some cases.

PS R12 i believe this problem is overcome or at least I expect Oracle
to overcome it within next few months.

Just my 0.02$
Jurijs

On 6/20/07, Irfan Momin <irfanwiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Kenan,

May be you are right.  But, once I raised an iTAR with ORACLE asking the
same question.  They replied back saying that all Oracle applications are 32
bit irrespective of the platforms (32 bit or 64 bit) they are put on.

But, I strongly agree with you on Processing Architecture i.e x86_64 and
EMD64 are different even if I have with same OS like Linux or SUN.

Each Architecture in itself can have 32 bit as well as 64 bit env's.  I say,
32 bit or 64 bit all depends on the OS.  For example, lets say I have an X86
Architecture machine that is 64 bit complaint.  But, I install an OS that
only supports 32 bit for example Windows, than I will have to install all
binaries on that system that are 32 bits (Ofcourse Windows).  However, if I
install an OS that supports 64 bit for example Linux, than it does not make
any difference if I use binaries that are 32 bit or 64 bit (Ofcourse Linux
binaries), as we all know backward compatibility is always there.

Whatever written above are my views/ideas and I say that I can be wrong.  If
so, please guide me properly.

Regards,
Irfan Momin
Oracle Applications DBA