[optimal] Zeiss FF450 Plus flash/expopsure question

  • From: Fernando Corrada <fcorrada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Optimal <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 16:58:55 -0400

Hi fellow Optimalers.

Recently we purchased a new Zeiss FF-450 Plus IR camera to image with a
Merge/OIS WS5000 system. The only issue I have encountered is that the flash
output is quite strong for taking pictures of the DARC test eye. I am using the
lowest flash setting on the FF450 (1) and an ISO of 1oo on the sensor.

I am curious about how other people have solved this issue. ND filter on the
WS5000 sensor or on the FF450 filter slider? Changed the sensor sensitivity
settings in the ini files? Or.....?

I did call DARC and they suggested to take the color images with the green
filter (red free) in place but that did not work either. The colors photos and
the red frees are way overexposed. The FA images are fine.

A level 2 tech at Zeiss said that I could not use the slider filter on the
FF450 with an ND filter. That it is only used for green filters & FA filters.
They did not explain in detail why it is not possible. I think it should work
but I do not have a gelatin ND filter to try it out. I imagine that a 0.9 (3
stops) ND filter would be fine. The other possibilty is to place an ND filter
in front of the WS5000 sensor but I hate to expose the sensor to dust and
whatnot. What have you creative people have done? Thank you in advance.

Merge Healthcare/OIS is going to call me back with a solution which I think
involves an ND filter. Will see what they suggest.

Fernando B. Corrada

Burlington, VT