[optimal] Scientific Session idea: gender in ophthalmic imaging?

  • From: Cynthia VandenHoven <cynthia.vandenhoven@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 11:02:06 -0400

HI All,

Over the years I have read many posts discussing how to repair, clean,
jerry-rig, and even build ophthalmic equipment….
Recent discussion case in point:  "Prudence suggests dismantling the
OIS 5.0 capturing head inverting it, and blowing it on the
undersurface with compressed air,… re-assemble...  " Jim Soque

From my observation, most of these discussions were written and
responded to by the male gender in our field. Maybe I am wrong in this
impression.

Scientific Session idea: Exploration into the differences gender plays
in the ophthalmic practice. Is there a difference in work values,
tasks performed etc? How many women vs men in our profession?
Obviously, we want to avoid women/men are better than the other.

Big topic. Lots of directions here. Could be a PhD topic really…but a
basic look into are there differences, and what do they look like
could be a good start.

Any takers?

See these journal for ideas.
http://folk.uio.no/olegmo/Men%20in%20Nursing/Gilloran%201995.pdf