survey update May 5 and 6

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 08:57:57 -0400 (EDT)

Listers,
We have 76 Current Optacon User surveys. We have ten Potential Optacon
User surveys.
New Optacon uses continue to be mentioned and persons with non-working
Optacons continue to turn up.
It appears that TeleSensory was so strongly tied to the Optacon that some
people, even power users did not try to find repair options. Fortunately
due to our project, it is not too late for most of these individuals.
OPTACON REPAIRERS UNITE FOR BETTER SERVICE
So far, Dave Godfrey, Leo Drell, and Richard Oehm have agreed to work
together to share parts and save costs to Optacon users. Nobody has heard
from Fred Stam or his company as yet. If anyone knows of any other
companies or individuals who repair Optacons, please share that
information. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE BROKERS WHO IN THE PAST HAVE
TRIED TO PASS THEMSELVES OFF AS OPTACON REPAIRERS. This is one of the
reasons why we want several endorsements before we start passing names to
users.When the list of repairers is complete, it will be posted here on a
regular basis.
As all of you kniw, the Optacons are too valuable to trust to just anyone
for repairs. In addition to this, the repairers offer waranties and other
advantages to their customers. Brokers do not offer these things and they
pass their profit directly to the user whose Optacon needs repair. We as
users should do everything we can to discourage this practice.
TODAY'S WISH
A camera tiny enough to fit in the margins of tightly bound documents. As
a Braille transcriber, I can relate to that.
TODAY'S INTERESTING USE
Reading the Federal Register. This is a multi-columned, flimsy-paged, fat,
densely printed document that is a weekly publication of the U.S.
government. This user was able to find items of interest without having to
read or scan any of the rest of the document.
That's it for today.
Catherine