reading speeds

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 22:11:40 -0700

Bob,

I read in a TSI newsletter years ago that somebody at Hadley School was
reading 130 words a minute; I can read about 100 words a minute, depending
on the complexity of the material; have read out loud onto a tape for
somebody and have been called "a super optacon user" by the person who heard
me. So, I think 85 words a minute is a wrong estimation and probably not
based on actual experience with the machine. I don't mean to insult the
individual who said what they said, but, engineering or not, user speeds
have gotten beyond 85 words a minute.
Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson