[optacon-l] Re: new version of Optacon?

  • From: Mary Emerson <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 15:12:00 -0700

Cordelia and list,

Just commenting off the top of my head, so my memory is probably not as
accurate as I wish it were.

This topic has been discussed at length in previous years. I don't know
if anyone has tried the Videotim, but if memory serves, many of us have
determined that this device probably doesn't work as well as the
optacon, due to its lack of ability to show the detail that the optacon
array shows. I recall reading that the Videotim's array is supposed to
display two letters at a time, but the number of pins is much less. I
don't know if it's still being manufactured; whatever the status is, it
hasn't caught on with optacon users on this list. There was quite a
discussion of its lack of ability to show real-time images; I think it
has a camera that takes a picture of a page before displaying it. This
wouldn't work too well with something like a computer screen, where the
display changes quickly; the picture couldn't keep up with what's going
on as changes occur.

Mary