list name as part of subject

  • From: "don bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon list" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 10:31:09 -0700

This question seems to come up periodically on most lists.  On those lists with
the name as part of the subject, people ask that it be removed to get rid of
the
clutter and the repeat of the list name with each message in screen readers.

The lists which don't have the name in the subject get complaints because the
individuals aren't always sure which list a message is from.

So, the bottom line is that you can't please all the people all of the time.

This list, along with many others does not have the list name in the subject.
Since I purchased a braille display a couple of years ago I've really learned
appreciate not having the list name present as it significantly reduces the
amoung of scrolling you have to do in order to read a subject line.

For those who want to find a better way of grouping and identifying messages,
try looking at the options in your email program.  Virtually all mail programs
today have some means of filtering and sorting messages.

It's easier to track messages if you filter them into separate folders for each
list you subscribe to for example, and also you can sort messages by subject
which makes following a thread and responding much easier.

One disadvantage of including the list name as part of the subject is that it
often becomes difficult or impossible to sort messages by subject so it really
makes
better sense to encourage users to start using message filtering and leave the
message handling to each individual so that it can better fit their personal
needs.

Thanks for your attention, and I hope this answers the questions concerning
this topic.

The Moderator