Re: Survey including children needs

  • From: Mike Freeman <k7uij@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:24:43 -0400 (EDT)

Fran:

I may get flamed for this one, but ...

I think we should limit the survey to adults for the moment. I say this
for ideological reasons. While some children to extremely well with the
Optacon, school districts often found it all-too-easy to use the
availability of the Optacon as an excuse not to provide adequate braille
instruction to blind students. TeleSensory played into this abomination
by implying without saying it that the Optacon might make the need for
braille moot. I believe both organizations of the blind in this country
challenged this silliness and TeleSensory backed off.

Whatever the history, there are only so many hours in a day and I
believe we cannot afford the luxury of pushing the Optacon as a useful
device for children unless and until we are assured that they are
getting good braille instruction. The two modalities complement each
other.

<<FIRE-PROOF SUIT ON>>

Mike Freeman