[optacon-l] Stories from Non-Optacon Users

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:18:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Linda and list
It's good of we can gather stories of the problems faced by non-Optacon
users which they might wish to solve if they could. It's also important to
find tasks particularly on jobs that an Optacon could perform that cannot
be done at all by the worker without one. An example would be photocopying
independently or verifying that print labels were done correctly.
Neurological sensitivity is necessary to use an Optacon. It is unfortunate
that many diabetics at least on some days would be unable to use one. It's
unfortunate in the same way that a person with severe hearing loss cannot
use a talking book player. However, a great many people lose their sight
to causes other than diabetes and I still think that this is a legitimate
target group of potential Optacon users.
The more stories we can gather and the more unmet needs we can uncover,
the better the chances are that an Optacon might still be in the future.
Catherine