[optacon-l] Re: Print Symmetry

  • From: Mary Emerson <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:50:18 -0700

Karla and list,

I had a private teacher when I learned to use the optacon in 1976 during
a summer break from computer school, so I only had a week to learn the
basics. But, as you say, being bold enough to explore the capabilities
of the device opened a lot of doors. I've always used a somewhat low
threshold but the highest intensity since it feels very much like
braille. My teacher always left it to me to decide how the machine
worked best, since I was the one using it and she just used a visual
display. When the week of instruction was over, I went back for the last
sessions of computer school and had to read my homework assignments,
since my reader had quit, and then had to be sure my typed responses
were legible. By the time I became employed a few months later, and even
before then at the interview, I took the optacon to work and started
using it; during the interview, I read aloud from a computer printout;
at the office, I used it on an old 3277 CRT.

Mary