[optacon-l] Re: Pins in the Tactile Array

  • From: dacoleman@xxxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 17:24:02 -0600

> I agree with you on the two Optacons.  I think the pins are better
> protected
> from dust on the R1D.
>
> Effie

Hi, all,

     Just a little more data on this subject of those pins in the arrays.
My late wife Rita and I used both the old and new optacons
for--gosh--it must have been at least five years.  We both thought
that in reading ordinary print the new one with the fewer pins in its
array produced a considerably sharper immage than the older unit did.
 From what I've been hearing, that isn't the general concensus by any
means.  Interesting:  I think it means that we've got too many
varriables on our hands (Yup, there's a pun intended).

     And that situation might make it that much harder to get a working
readers' concensus on what kind of array should go into a newly
manufactured optacon--something so many of us hope for!  I don't want
to suggest at all that there's anything impossible here, but any real
possibility of a newly manufactured instrument is going to require
the best of all practiccal worlds to be connived at by a lot of
intelligent optacon users who know what their doing, as so many
people on this list obviously are, and they're going to have to get
their heads together and make sure that they organize as a consulting
group for anyone who should ever get serious about manufacturing the
optacon again.  Just one little thing out of God knows how many!

Regards,

Don Coleman