[optacon-l] Optacon Material Available

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:57:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Listers,
Below is a list of all the material concerning the Optacon which this list
has at its disposal.
        1. OPTACON USER SURVEY: If you never filled out our Optacon User
survey, please write to me privately to obtain a copy. We have heard from
more than 150 Optacon users, some of whom are not on the list for various
reasons.
Write TO:
braille@xxxxxxxxx

        2. OPTACON MANUALS: Mary Emerson has been kind enough to put
almost all of the Optacon Owner's Manuals into electronic format. If you
are loking for documentation on the r1 Optacons, the Optacon II or how to
use the CRT Lens, write to Mary at:
maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        3. OPTACON TRAINING MANUAL: One of our list members, with
tremendous effort, had the Optacon Training Manual originally distributed
by TeleSensory, placed on the Freedom Scientific web site. This manual is
in .pdf format. Also, it is not designed to be used in its electronic
version. The idea is to download the manual and then print it on a
standard i;nk printer. Then you can use its pages to teach yourself some
of the Optacon skills.
I am not sure of the exact name of the Freedom Scientific web site. Sorry.

        4. OTHER TASK-RELATED MATERIALS: Since we began work on our
Optacon Preservation project I have put together three documents by
combining messages from various Optacon users. Currently I have these
three items: a. wishlist: This is a list of the items which uses have
stated that they would like to see added to an improved version of the
Optacon. Thank you to Charles Pond for his help in gathering this
material.
        b. Scanning: This is a set of tipson how the Optacon can help its
users set up print material to scan more effectively. You do have to know
how to make changes in the settings for your particular scanning software
to make the best use of this material.
        c. Signing: This tip sheet combines messages from Optacon users on
how they sign documents with the help of the Optacon.
Please write to me off-list for any of these three documents.

        4. THE OPTACON-L ARCHIVES: All the messages that have been