[opendtv] Re: Why Freeview succeeded

  • From: dmenolan <dmenolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV list <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:18:57 -0500

See in-line..

Kind Regards,

Dermot Nolan

From:   INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:     , INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        =

Date:   18/03/105 13:56 PM

RE:     [opendtv] Re: Why Freeview succeeded

 =

dmenolan wrote:

>The reasons why Freeview has succeeded are:
>
>a) It is free
>  =

Sure helps but do you think that OnDigital could have succeeded and be =

viable today with better business decisions?

NO. They were demolished by Sky: it is now a business school case study. =
It is said TopUp Tv has 190k subs but that is a minipay service with very=
 low operating costs.

>b) The receivers are extremely affordable
>  =

What is the lowest priced decent receiver today? Around =A350 for a good =
one, =A339 for cheapo ones with less sensitive tuners etc..

>c) The receivers are often given away with high ticket CE purchases
>  =

Any examples, URL's that you could share? Most UK CE sites do this eg Dix=
ons or Comet  (all .....co.uk types!)

>d) The modulation system works. It works in severe multipath conditions.=
 End of story.

>e) The content line-up is very attractive if you only have 5 analogue TV=
 channels, one of which has quite ropey reception in many areas
>  =

Why is the broadcast TV spectrum so limited there and could more be =

freed up after your transition? Still don't understand why 25% of the =

country is not served.

 There are 1100 repeater stations and the spectrum is very intensively us=
ed and the distances are much smaller than in the US. At home for example=
 I have 5 analogue channels, two sets of six DVB-T channels, another two =
sets of four analogue repeater channels, and four long distance channels =
which is practically  50% of the UHF band (makes the in-house RF distribu=
tion system quite tricky with taboo channels. ) Also the distance between=
 major markets is less than 100 miles so there are tremendous overlaps. (=
 In Outer London you can recive three other markets for example all with =
different local channels.) They gave up on VHF years ago because it is us=
eless in the summer months (and today too because of the weather) because=
 of interference from Europe. Yesterday I had a French Band III station o=
n a telescopic antenna due to the weather! So frequency reuse is a big pr=
oblem. the reason why it only has 75% coverage is they have not built out=
 the network to match analogue coverage..
After the transition they will have high power DVB-T (which means indoor =
in the urban areas and mobile most places in you have diversity). Fourtee=
n of the 44 UHF channels are being reclaimed for other uses: I suspect so=
me will be for national DVB-H networks as the mobile companies could affo=
rd the auction and some might be for terrestrial HD (MPEG4) but this is s=
ome way off..

>f) the main services are all widescreen and this is the quickest way to =
get anamorphic widescreen

>g) The picture quality is very good (i isn't HDTV, its component EDTV, b=
ut for most UK homes it looks good)

>h) There are many digital radio stations carried via Freeview: this has =
proved to be one of its USPs as you can have DTV and digital radio all in=
 one for $50

>i) The reception issues with any DTV system (cliffs, antennas, margins, =
cables) are now very widely understood at retail level. After seven years=
 this is not surprising

>j) A large number of cable and DBS homes are using Freeview on second an=
d third TV sets ( why pay additional subs all around the house): about 25=
% of the base

>k) You can receive it mobile if you have a diversity receiver in your ca=
r, SUV, etc. This is only just starting
>  =

Since you don't have an SFN how are the handoffs from one transmitter to =

another? They are not syncronized so there would be drop outs etc.?

Not needed. Regional inserts at different centres round the country. The =
DTV repeaters are actually digital translators fed by fibre (not offair b=
ut the technology for that is coming..)
As they are not synchronised the only dropouts are local eg power failure=
 at transmitters (has happened) but is very well engineered and with 50%+=
 homes digital the QoS of the DTV system is v high (once analogue failed =
but DTV continued: that caused a storm..)

>l) It is marketed very slickly by the BBC and has shot from nowhere to b=
e a household brand

>m) Unlike the US the broadcasters have cooperated to put the platform to=
gether: a clear example of the group survival instinct in play.
>  =

That still seems to be a no-no here. I think if the recent loss of =

multicast must carry sticks (Martin could change it or Congress could =

make a deal) broadcasters in the US may get a bit more agressive which =

could lead to a bit of co-operation. Can't help but think the thought of =

must carry put a damper on Emmis talk of co-operation

Its sink or swim vs DBS or cable and the BBC were determined to have inde=
pendent digital distribution from satellite: which is why they pushed DTV=
 so hard. That strategy has paid off resoundingly. You saw Alan Roberts c=
omment on the reflector: a lot of people do not want to pay Mr M. Period,=
 as you say in the States. I think the fiasco in the US, the lack of a sh=
ared perspective, the travesty of the MSTV/NAB fake tests, the Not-Invent=
ed-Here-Syndrome and the fatal crutch of cable dependency all point to th=
e long decline of free OTA TV in the US. All it is is a HD simulcast of t=
he same content: its nice but is it enough? The results say not.
You see 21st century broadcasting needs to leverage its wireless roots an=
d that is the route being pursued elsewhere.

>n) It has a full EPG service with full localisation for each TV market. =
This is the glue for a PVR industry which is just taking off.

>0) COFDM chips are now peanuts because of the volumes and, unlike the sy=
stem which dare not speak its name, it works.
>  =

 From my conversations the cost of 8-VSB is going up not down. I seem to =

remember talk by Frank Eory here of just such a scenario.

In fact Frank said exactly that yesterday on the reflector. He is, of cou=
rse, 100% correct. They now realise they have to have good tuners and goo=
d chip sets: the reason its not being done is that there are no markets f=
or it so they cannot drive the price down and nobody wil take the risk. T=
he conventional COFDM is dirt cheap because its a commodity and there are=
 lots of very good tuner solutions (this was all realised in COFDM in 199=
9.). The only expensive chips are the DVB-H ones, $10, because they are c=
ompletely new and very fancy. But if you see the plans for MDTV the price=
s will tumble very quickly. There is no real incentive for IC vendors to =
invest in ATSC because its a marginal business which is not very importan=
t in the rest of the world: therefore no scale economies. And the US is a=
 cable/satellite + NTSC society.

>pP CE vendors now have the confidence to integrate it in TVs, LCDs, plas=
etc. Sony + Panasonic announced  that all their bigger ranges will be dig=
ital by year end: that will increase the penetration further.
>  =

Why wasn't it integrated sooner? What percentage of the market is =

digital or has a digital receiver integrated now?

Economics and business confidence; the CE vendors can see Freeview shippi=
ng in the millions. Only a small % are digital but this will change this =
year (reason: LCDs and plasmas can all hide cost of digital tuner. and, a=
s elsewhere, are v popular now..)

>q) By the end of the year Freeview will be in around 35% of all homes, o=
vertaking DBS which has 30% penetration.
>  =

While the US is still around 1% and holding. Yes, I am afraid ATSC remain=
s very much an enthusiasts toy, rather than a replacement TV system. NTSC=
 has a great future I wager..

>r) It has now reached a virtual economic cycle.
>
>The things that are wrong with Freeview are:
>
>a) It is still only available to 75% of homes
>
>b) Its transmitters operate at max 20kW whereas the big sticks should be=
 run at around 100kW (cf Berlin...)

>c) There has been no use of SFN technologies: broadcasting is quite loca=
l here.

>d) They have not really expanded the network since it was first put in i=
n 1998-2000: this is about to change.

>e) Unlike Berlin etc it does not have widespread indoor antenna coverage=
 because of the low powers. That would reallt tilt the economics of distr=
ibution in favour of DTV bigtime

>f) It has insufficient capacity to compete with DBS on a pay footing whi=
ch is why ITVDigital died.

>But many lessons have been learned about how to roll out DTV successfull=
ly. In France you will see the next step in DTV: a system which combines =
MPEG2 SDTV Freeview, MPEG4HDTV, and a dedicated DVB-H network. That will =
be a very interesting departure later this year...
>  =

I don't understand why there is any use of MPEG2 in a system being built =

today.

Cost. MPEG4 boxes are 40% more today for identical functionality. Going d=
own the MPEG4 route makes sense if you are a greenfield pay-tv provider e=
g IPTV, DVB-H mobile Tv (where it is essential), DSL-DTV, new HDTV system=
s. If you just want to do SDTV the MPEG2 boxes are a complete commodity. =
In time MPEG4 will be cheap but the pay providers can bankroll the rollou=
t!

DN
Bob Miller

>Kind Regards,