[opendtv] Re: Video on Demand

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 06:33:07 -0400

On Oct 7, 2015, at 9:14 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

To me, VOD is limited to electronic stream viewing, non-linear, where
content comes from some electronic content source across a network.

Yup. That seems to be the consensus definition.

On the other hand, downloading a stored video program to local
storage is VOD, as it is not a recording of a linear broadcast.

I think you missed a "not" in there. But anyway, surely, when I watch NCIS on
cbs.com, or when I watch an old episode of Star Trek from cbs.com, or when I
watch a Japanese movie from Hulu.com, all of that qualifies as VOD. There's
nothing to limit VOD to be "from a linear stream." And more, if, just for the
sake of argument, I record an episode of NCIS from the cbs.com site, and
watch it later, that too is VOD, according to Wikipedia.

This is the key part: "... or download it to a device such as a computer,
digital video recorder (also called a personal video recorder) or portable
media player for viewing at any time."

That word "download" does not imply "from a linear stream," in any way. It
does imply "from a network." For instance, could be a non-real-time download,
easily.

Agree again. In my book, recording a linear broadcast to view at another time
is just time shifting, not video on demand. It is the act of choosing a program
to download that makes it VOD, as opposed to a rescheduled appointment.

Bottom line, the Internet allows us to fully realize the promise of what the
VCR started. The ability to view any program, anywhere at any time, almost
instantly.

What else can we agree on?

:-)